Dr. Mitul Sengupta a National Scholar in Kathak dance from Ministry of Culture, Govt. of India, a Fellow in Kathak dance from Kalakritti Sanskritti Foundation, New Delhi, and a Psychologist. Mitul is an empaneled artist of ICCR & EZCC, Sangeet Natak Academy. She was privileged to demonstrate her work as youngest lecturer in Lucknow Rashtriya Kathak Sansthan among other panelists like, Guru Ranjendra Gangani, Guru Munnalal Sukhla, Smt. Shovna Narayanan and was applauded for her work.
Presently she is the guest lecturer, Performing Arts Therapeutic Division, and Examiner of Choreography, in Rabindrabharati University. She is a Professional member, International, of American Dance Therapy Association.
Started her dance career at the age of five. She has undergone tutelage from great exponents in Kathak dance like Pt, Birju Maharaj, Smt. Saswati Sen, Late Pt. OmPrakash Maharaj, Dr. Malabika Mitra, Smt. Madhumita Roy and Smt. Chetna Jalan.
She has underone training in Classical Jazz and Ballet under Sri Ronnie Shambik Ghose.
She is presently a teacher, choreographer and Director of Rhythmosaic Dance Co.
She has conducted workshops and master classes for the institutions and Dance Company listed below:
- Anita Mallik (Saraswat Institute) 2007
- Malabika Sen 2007
- Padatik Dance Center 2004-2006
- Attakkalari Center for Movement Arts (Bangalore, London) 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
- Nirupama Rajandra Dance Company (Bangalore) 200
- STEM Dance Kampni (Bangalore) 2007
- Priti Patel Dance Company (Anjika) 2007
- Kathak Kendra (Delhi) 2009
- Offjazz Dance Company.(NICE, FRANCE) 2009, 2013
- Nice University (NICE, FRANCE) 2009
- World Dance Alliance in collaboration with India & Bangladesh. 2010
- Jawaharlal Neheru Center for Manipuri Dance (Manipur) 2012
- Conducted Workshop organized by Embassy Of India, Sweden for Swedish People 2012
- Created Production "KAPPA" for Gurukul Academy of Legendary Dr.Ratan Thiyam 2013
- Workshop at Sweden organized by Indian Embassy, Sweden, 2012.
- Workshop at PACE University organized by IAAC (Indo- American Arts Council), USA, New York, 2014
- ROYAL DANISH BALLET – Denmark 2012
- PHILHARMONIC SOCIETY – Belarus 2012
- INDIAN EMBASSY – Stockholm, Sweden 2012
- BEIJING DANCE FESTIVAL - Beijing, China 2014
- ERASING BORDERS INDOOR FESTIVAL by INDO - AMERICAN ARTS COUNCIL - New York, USA, 2014
- SANGEET NATAK AKADEMI “PRATIVA UTSAV” 2004, 2005, Kolkata, Ranchi
- KATHAK MAHOTSAV 2007, 2009, New Delhi
- KESHAV SMRITI SAHAROHAO New Delhi 2008
- RASHTRIYA KATHAK SANSTHAN, Lucknow 2009
- UDAY SHANKAR DANCE FESTIVAL, Kolkata, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011
- SAMAKALA – A Festival of Contemporary Dance Odissa – 2012
- BIENALLE – A Festival of Contemporary Dance, Bangalore, by ATTAKKALARI, 2009
- DRISTI FESTIVAL 2009, Bangalore
- BENGALURU INTERNATIONAL ARTS FESTIVAL, 2010
- INTERNATIONAL PURI BEACH FESTIVAL, Odissa, 2010, 2012
- SANGEET RESEARCH ACADEMY, 2013
- INDO OCCIDENTAL SYMBIOSIS, 2013
- ICCR, Bangalore, 2013
- ASEM - Asia - Europe Diplomat Meet - New Delhi by Ministry of External Affairs and ICCR - 2013
COLLABORATIONS WITH ARTISTS and CHOREOGRAPHER (INTERNATIONAL)
- Mr. Gianin Loringett, Artistic Director, OFFJAZZ DANCE ACADEMY, NICE, FRANCE and Mr. Yorma Loringett, Performe , France, - SWAN LAKE - REVISITED, 2011-12
- IMPULSE - Fringe Residency , an UK based CONTEMPORARY DANCE INITIATIVE featuring, Contemporary B-boying by UK artist, Wilkie Branson and Joel Daniel and Contemporary Dance and Kathak by Dr. Mitul Sengupta.
- Ms. Martine Kaisserlian and Gianin Loringett - Budda- The Why Within, an Indo- French Dance Production
COLLABORATIONS WITH INDIAN ARTISTS
- Performed live with Pt. Bickram Ghose in Tagore Lounge organized by Opendoors 2011
- Performed Live with Pt. Tarun Bhattacharya in "Monsoon Melodies" organized by Weavers Studio Centre For The Arts & Times of India , 2011
- Performed in LAKME FASHION WEEK 2011 and "Peeli Kothi" for Sabyasachi Mukherjee in association with Taj Bengal, t2, The Telegraph. 2011
- Choreographed and presented BUDDHA - THE WHY WITHIN an Indo - French Dance Production with Offjazz Dance Company in associaion with ICCR, Ministry of Culture, Govt. of India, Sanskritti Sagar, Open Doors, Anjika, Alliance Francaise Du Bengale. - 2014
- She is the Choreographer and Presenter of "SWAN LAKE - Revisited" an ICCR sponsored Indo- French Dance Production. 2012
- Choreographer of Production "WHITE" 2011.
- " Ms. Sengupta’s traditional technique was surer, especially in the precision and counter rhythms of her footwork. Though her shapes blurred in rapid spins, her franticness was somewhat justified by the ancient story she depicted of a son sacrificing his life in war." New York Times " - Traditions Meld Deftly to the Contemporary, Erasing Borders Festival Takes a Modern Turn. BRIANSEIBERTSEPT. 7, 2014, Dance Critic , New York Times - http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/08/arts/dance/erasing-borders-festival-takes-a-modern-turn.html?src=twr&_r=1
- "An astonishing array of crystal clear micro movements of the hands, head and feet snapped during D. Mitul Sengupta’s presentation of an episode from the Kurukshetra War in the Mahabharata. After a blazing display of her hands and forearms crossing and opening, she rippled around the stage in a blur of fast, tight turns—moving with the speed of a Tasmanian devil an the serenity of a Buddha. - Eye on Dance, Erasing Borders Indoors Festival, 2014, NYC, USA by Celia Ipiotis - http://www.eyeondance.org/arts/archives.cfm?category=5FA605C9-5555-46DF-992EB5F4AEACF582
" Mitul Sengupta, a national scholar of Kathak, has studied Kathak from Kalakriti Samskriti Foundation in New Delhi and has a doctorate in psychology. She is trained in Flamenco and Jazz and these two dancers have combined their talent in grooming a group of young dancers bringing fresh work on the contemporary stage.
Mitul is a versatile dancer exceptionally graceful, rhythmic and strong. Her Kathak has all the nazakat and khubsoorati, grace and beauty but she has imbued it with quality of jazz and sparkle. It leaves an indelible impression. Ronnie has a strong manly stance, demeanor and performs with perfection, stamina and speed. The group is well trained and they dance with zest. The title ‘White’ is only a peg around which they have choreographed dance movements which are energetic and choreographers have kept in mind the aesthetics of Kathak and western classical and contemporary dance techniques, including classical jazz, classical ballet, techniques of Jose Limon, Graham and Cunningham. Tap dance and lyrical flamenco are also interwoven. This myriad vocabulary was expressed with competence. Of course with her movements, Mitul won applause for her talent. Ronnie with his exposure to the west and tutelage under great masters displayed what he can do with Indian dance forms. Their duets, group dances, coming from one side of the stage and running to other side, had indeed a look of a contemporary dance as seen in the west, but it essentially displayed very Indian quality.
Dr. Sunil Kothari- Samakala 2012, Narthaki, Dance Critic India.